Saturday, 8 March 2014

First day out

My first real outing of 2014 took me first to Cooper's Hill. Nice to see a Green Tiger Beetle, a solitary solitary bee, and a Bombus lapidarius bumblebee, which cunningly all evaded the camera, but while looking at the remains of a recently felled young birch noted a large pupa laying on the surface between the stumps. It is 35mm long so will eventually produce a large moth, but I haven't determined which yet...


Then on to Sandy Smith NR. A lot of honey bees on young willow blossom and a single Bombus terrestris bumblebee. A brief search for Bee Orchids quickly identified six plants, all grazed to ground level presumably by rabbits. In the old orchard I finally encountered my first butterfly of the year, a Comma...


Sadly the day wasn't as warm or sunny as the forecasters had led me to expect, so slightly disappointing, but nice to be able to shake off a bit of cabin fever none-the-less. A warm sunny day is forecast for tomorrow...

No comments: