Sunday, 19 August 2012

Stictoleptura scutellata

Several of these longhorn beetles were flying around meadowsweet along the bridleway through West Wood today. I knew that I'd not seen them before and tried to ID them in the field using Brian Eversham's key to the Beds, Northants and Cambs longhorns that I carry in case of emergencey [sic]. It came out as Stictoleptura rubra which I knew to be wrong as I'm familiar with that species.

Reference to the two 2007 British Widlife articles on longhorns by Andrew Duff when I got home suggested an ID of Stictoleptura scutellata which was confirmed by Andrew himself when I posted photos on the beetles-britishisles forum.

I'm not aware of any previous Beds records for this species, but someone may have seen it here before...? There aren't any Beds dots on the NBN Gateway, and it would be the most northerly record if there wasn't one for Sherwood Forest in 1869.


The key will need a tweak to add in this extra BCN species.

No comments: